Rice and Beans is the national food of Belize. It is typically served with stew chicken, a potato salad, fried plantains and a pickled onion sauce on the side. If someone were to visit Belize and ask for a traditional dish of the country, rice and beans would definitely be part of the plate. The coconut essence gives rice and beans its one of a kind addictive taste. The stewed chicken is red in color because of the Recado (annatto spice). The potato salad is creamy and delicious. I decided to provide the recipes for the stew chicken and potato salad since these sides are the most common when eating rice and beans. When my family cooks rice and beans we always have to eat it with potato salad and stew chicken or else it doesn’t feel right.
Belizean Rice & Beans
- ½ Can of Coconut Milk
- 3 cups of Rice
- 1/2 cup/can of Red Kidney Beans
- 3 cups of water
- ¼ onion sliced in semicircles
- 1 tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp thyme (optional)
Before making rice and beans you need to have precooked beans in advance, here is how:
You will need:
- 1lb of red kidney beans
- ¼ sliced onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 6 cups of Water
Instructions to cook beans:
- Place beans in a pot and fill water almost to the brim
- Put in peeled garlic and cover to boil
- Boil for 1 hour until beans are soft
- You will need to add water during boiling
Instructions for rice and beans:
- Place1/2 cup of beans in the pot, add black pepper, salt and onions
- Boil beans for 5 minutes, then add 3 cups of rice.
- Add ½ cup of water and ½ cup coconut milk coconut milk
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked
- 1 whole chicken cut in pieces
- 1 tsp of recado
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ onion sliced
- ½ sliced green pepper
- Put chicken in a bowl
- Season with garlic powder, black pepper and Recado (Annatto spice)
- Then dilute Recado (Annatto spice) in ½ cup of water and add to chicken along with sliced onions and green peppers.
- Next, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan that is big enough to hold gravy.
- Once oil is heated place only the chicken in the pan.
- Fry chicken for about 20 minutes
- Then add the water with Recado (Annatto spice), onions and green pepper.
- Let the chicken stew until cooked
- 4 potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of mixed vegetables
- ¼ cup of Salad cream
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Boil potatoes and eggs.
- Let potatoes and eggs cool for about 15 minutes.
- When potatoes and eggs are cooked, peel and cut into squares.
- Put potatoes and eggs in a bowl, add the can of mixed vegetables and pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Next, add salad cream and ½ can of evaporated milk.
- Mix together, if the salad is too dry add more milk.
- Store in the refrigerator if it will not be served immediately.